private address 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x on a public dns

John Wobus jw354 at cornell.edu
Mon Apr 28 21:48:19 UTC 2008

I know that what you are asking for is a citation from an RFC or other
well-accepted
best-practices document, and I don' t have that, but I'll add my
comments.

There's a security issue.  If your engineering department's client uses
that name at some remote site (e.g., at home), then a server
at that remote site that has address 192.168.99.154 would respond.
Then, the client is talking to a different server than intended.
How much danger this entails to your engineering department
depends upon the specifics of the app.

Also, someone who legitimately uses that address at the
remote site might devote resources toward investigating the
unexplained probing of their host.

John Wobus