Split horizon with forwarding

Fridtjof Busse fbusse at gmx.de
Wed Apr 30 17:11:58 UTC 2008

Hi,

I would like to set up a split horizon (views) for a single domain, but
would like to forward all queries for hostnames that are not configured
locally. I basically want to override some hostnames in split horizon
configuration, but still want to forward queries that are not
configured to the normal DNS (I only want to override a few hostnames).
For example dnsmasq is able to do this, by simply forwarding every
request that cannot be answered by the local database (but it lacks the
split horizon features of BIND).

If theres a way to do this with BIND 9.3.2 and avoid configuring every
host that is to be served by the split horizon as a domain of its own
I'd be happy to hear about it.

Thanks for any hints.
--
Fridtjof Busse