BIND 9 without using rndc

Chris Thompson cet1 at hermes.cam.ac.uk
Tue Aug 5 15:38:29 UTC 2008

On Aug 5 2008, atomic at people.net.au wrote:

>If we are not using rndc to control BIND 9,

... then you should be. It's easy to set up (see below) and makes
life much much easier. I'm amazed by the contortions I see people
going to, even here on bind-users, to avoid using rndc.

Oh, you were saying? ...

>                                             is there any harm NOT
>configuring rndc.conf and relevant entry in named.conf?

If you don't have a "controls" section in named.conf, then BIND will
look for a file /etc/rndc.key (or elsewhere if built with a different
sysconfdir setting) and invent a default "controls" based on that.
(This is what "rndc-confgen -a" is for: you don't need a rndc.conf
at all.) Failing that, it will not set up a controls channel at all.

--
Chris Thompson
Email: cet1 at cam.ac.uk