BIND 9 - force secondary to update/refresh from primary

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Wed Aug 6 00:23:50 UTC 2008

> > On 08/05/2008 04:13 PM, atomic at people.net.au wrote:
> > > We will be upgrading from BIND 8 to BIND 9 on Windows 2000 Server, the
> > > plan is to upgrade the secondary name server first and do the primary
> > > later (not on the same day).
> > >
> > > After upgrading the secondary, we want to make sure zone transfer from
> > > the primary (BIND 8) still works, so we will be making changes to a test
> > > zone in the primary name server (i.e. incrementing the serial number).
> > > Instead of waiting for it to happen, is it possible to force the
> > > secondary to update/refresh the zone without using rndc?
>
> On 05.08.08 16:51, Sotiris Tsimbonis wrote:
> > Remove the stored zonefiles from secondary's disk, so it will be forced
> > to re-transfer the next time it starts..
>
> Oh, sorry.
>
> rm <zonefile>
> killall -1 named
>
> should work, although rndc is more effective.

	No, that won't work.  Reload (kill -1) does not look at the
	disk for slave zones.

	If one wants to avoid using rndc then the only proceedure is:

		stop named
		remove the master file
		start named

	I would however suggest that the OP set up rndc.  It works under
	windows and is the best tool for controling named.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org