dnsperf and BIND memory consumption

JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 Jinmei_Tatuya at isc.org
Thu Aug 7 04:38:27 UTC 2008

At Thu, 7 Aug 2008 00:26:04 -0400,
Vinny Abello <vinny at tellurian.com> wrote:

> Huh... maybe I was right in the first place. I left dnsperf running
> and named ran out of memory. In my syslog I had a lot of these
> swap_pager_getswapspace failed messages followed by named finally
> dying (again, FreeBSD 7.0 STABLE AMD64, 4GB of RAM and the only
> software running is really BIND).

Quick questions: did you enable threads?  If so, does that change if
you disable threads?  We've heard a similar report on a beta version
of 9.5.0 for FreeBSD, which reportedly only happened with enabling
threads (and only happened with 9.5, not 9.4).  I've tried to
reproduce it with a mostly equivalent setting of OS/hardware, but
never succeeded in seeing it by myself.

---
JINMEI, Tatuya
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.