dnsperf and BIND memory consumption

Vinny Abello vinny at tellurian.com
Thu Aug 7 04:58:23 UTC 2008

OK. I've recompiled BIND 9.5.0-P2 (from ports) without threads enabled. I no longer see the memory leak at all. I'm running dnsperf and I see a constant of 18MB which is much more reasonable for what I am doing. For me it's easy to reproduce. Some more information that may help reproduce it:

FreeBSD 7.0 STABLE AMD64 (cvsup'ed within the past week)
BIND 9.5.0-P2 installed via ports with threads enabled
Server is a Dell PowerEdge 2850 with 2 CPU's, Hyperthreading disabled, 4GB of RAM and a 36GB RAID1 array on a Perc4 controller (LSI MegaRAID chipset)
Dnsperf run from a different server on the same network segment over Gig-E

Interestingly, without threads I am seeing pretty much the same performance as with threads, but am only using one CPU and now have extra horsepower to spare. I know the maintainer of the BIND95 port on FreeBSD enabled threads by default, but I'm wondering if this should be reconsidered... that's more of an issue for a FreeBSD list, but if something is figured out, I can point the port maintainer to this thread (unless he's reading it already).

I saw Danny state that Windows just had a fix made in regards to a memory leak specific to Windows socket code, but I'm wondering if what I was seeing was related to threads on Windows as well. I guess it's hard to tell without the fixed socket code to test with. I would recommend playing with dnsperf though to see if ISC can reproduce this with threads enabled.

-Vinny