dnsperf and BIND memory consumption

Vinny Abello vinny at tellurian.com
Fri Aug 8 20:29:17 UTC 2008

I further noticed that this only seems to happen for zones that I *think* BIND may have code built in to answer authoritatively... even though I have these zones manually defined in my named.conf as well. I tried another zone that is not part of the RFC1918 space of the in-addr.arpa zones or localhost and it was much faster like the recursive queries were. I tried this test on another server and noted the same behavior with in-addr.arpa zones in the RFC1918 space and with the localhost address on a totally different host OS being much slower than other local authoritative zones. So the results seem the same regardless of machine or platform. Maybe there is some code it is running through that is slowing response time on these queries? I noticed that the CPU load doesn't go anywhere near as high either on the named process when I get these results. I'm not sure what that may signify. Not necessarily a major problem, but an interesting set of inconsistent results regarding performance based on the data.

-Vinny