selecttest tool

JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 Jinmei_Tatuya at isc.org
Fri Aug 8 21:53:49 UTC 2008

At Fri, 08 Aug 2008 14:24:31 -0500,
Walter Gould <gouldwp at auburn.edu> wrote:

> > I guess we need more information to diagnose:
> >
> > - your detailed configuration (named.conf)
> >
> Jinmei,
>
> See our attached named.conf file.

I have a couple of suggestions:

1. you should specify a larger max-cache-size in named.conf.  the
   default size of 9.5.0 (32MB) is normally too conservative for a
   busy server with many clients, reducing cache hit rate and making
   the server busier, and possibly triggering subsequent performance
   troubles as a result.
2. #1 may be sufficient for you, but you may also want to raise
   recursive-clients (whose default is 1000) to some reasonable large
   value (e.g., 10000).  I suspect the primary reason for the SERVFAIL
   in your case is that the server hits the recursive-clients quota.
   I suspect the server left warning messages like ""no more recursive
   clients: ...".  Raising recursive-clients will at least solve this
   issue.

---
JINMEI, Tatuya
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.