how to log all recursive query responses?

David Sparks dave at ca.sophos.com
Fri Aug 8 23:56:25 UTC 2008

> If, on the other hand, you're trying to answer the question "why do I
> get a SERVFAIL, some of the time, for some names, seemingly at random?",
> then I don't know that a targeted tcpdump is going to help. You might
> have to capture *everything*, detect the error, and then wade through
> the data later.

This is exactly the problem.  Is there some way to get named to dump its
internal state so you can see why its returning a (cached?) SERVFAIL for what
should be a working query?  When I run rndc dumpdb and look at the output I
can't find anything about the query its returning SERVFAIL for, is there some
extra cache or rndc dumpdb flag I need to use?

This problem usually only happens on the busier of two named instances and
only after a week or so of uptime.  If no-one else knows of this problem I
guess I need to start collecting more data.

Thanks for you reply,

ds