dnsperf and BIND memory consumption

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Thu Aug 7 11:24:50 UTC 2008

Vinny Abello wrote:
> [...]
if there is a difference. This is just a stock FreeBSD 7.0 system with
BIND 9.5.0-P2 from ports. I'm not doing anything weird that I know of.
Again, it also seems to happen on Windows, but as I understand, the ISC
provided binary kit for Windows is threaded also, correct? I guess that
could be the key. I will recompile without threads now and retest.

In the case of Windows it cannot be built without threads. This was a
deliberate design decision since there are parts of the code
particularly the IOCP code that would just not work without threads.

Danny