Re: 9.5.0-P2 under Win XP: warnings about the 'files' limit in Event Log

Jukka Pakkanen jukka.pakkanen at qnet.fi
Sun Aug 10 14:51:21 UTC 2008

Danny Mayer <mayer at ntp.isc.org> kirjoitti :

> Jukka Pakkanen wrote:
> > I get the same message in all our Windows server with P2, reported that a
>
> > week ago but haven't heard anything about it yet. Also the P2 crashes
> > several times a day even in a low-load server, hopefully the "very
> soon to
> > be released" fixed windows version is coming soon.

When the 9.5.0-P2 crashes (freezes) there's no errors or anything in the event viewer. Only message is the above mentioned FD_SETSIZE when restarting the service.

The named service keeps growing in memory size, and then randomly stops responding to anything. At that point the service stops growing as well. But the service itself is still active (task manager lists it). We have set our network monitor make a dns status query every minute, and if there's no response to restart the service.

Usually the named crashes few times a day. One of our recursive servers crashed 4 hours ago and after restart named was about 28M of size. Now after hour hours it's already 126 megs, 2195 handles and 9 threads. And this is not very busy server.

Another observation, one of our not-so-busy caching-only servers was running 9.5.1b1, it run days without crashing, but was eating memory. After 5 days of running named was using over 2 gigs of RAM and the server was running out of memory. Now installed 9.5.0-P2 to this server 4 hours ago, and it has crashed 8 times by now... named just stops responding and we need to restart the service.