file not found error - Bind Upgrade from 9.3.1 to 9.3.5p1 on Solaris 8

Tanvir tanvir900 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 03:00:53 UTC 2008

I am trying to upgrade Bind on a secondary DNS server. Bind 9.3.1 is
currently being run using: /usr/local/sbin/named -u domain -t
/usr/local/domain

I compiled 9.3.5p1 from source on the Solaris 8 machine (./configure
--prefix=/export/home/me/bind and make [as normal user]
and make install [as root]) and bind is installed under /export/home/me/bind

I have copied all the zone files from /usr/local/domain/bak to
/export/home/me/bind/bak and the named.conf file from
/usr/local/domain/etc to /export/home/me/bind/etc.

Now, when I do /export/home/me/bind/sbin/named -u domain -t
/export/home/me/bind/, I get an error

named[14437]: [ID 873579 daemon.crit] loading configuration: file not found
named[14437]: [ID 873579 daemon.crit] exiting (due to fatal error)

The log says that it is trying to read the named.conf in
/export/home/me/bind/etc/named.conf - which is there and has the same
permission as the named.conf in /usr/local/domain/etc/named.conf

I copied the bind directory from /export/home/me/bind/ to
/usr/local/bind and when I run bind (/usr/local/bind/sbin/named -u
domain -t /usr/local/bind/), it still tries to point to the named.conf
file in my home directory! But I can overwrite this using named's -c
directive but I still get the file not found error.

I know it's a chroot permission issue but not sure about the resolution.

Thanks for any help.