What would be happen if one of two dns was down?

Chris Buxton cbuxton at menandmice.com
Mon Aug 11 18:37:44 UTC 2008

For the Internet, ns1 going down should cause all resolvers to switch
over to ns2. This should happen automatically, with the only result
being a slight slowdown of resolution for a very small fraction of
your web visitors, ftp users, etc.

Of course, if ns2 is at all flakey, you're in trouble.

For local users, the picture may be different, depending on your
resolving architecture. Stub resolvers don't handle failures well, so
if users are hitting your authoritative servers directly, having ns1
go down could easily be a problem.

Chris Buxton
Professional Services
Men & Mice