selecttest tool

JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 Jinmei_Tatuya at isc.org
Tue Aug 12 02:56:54 UTC 2008

At Sat, 09 Aug 2008 19:54:10 -0500,
Walter <gouldwp at auburn.edu> wrote:

> Based on your above sugestions, I did the following:
> 1) set my max-cache-size to 320MB  (I thought ten times the default
> would be ok - this box has 2gb or ram)
> 2) set my recursive-clients to 10,000
>
> Everything rocked along fine for about 12 hours.  This morning (while I
> was out of town), I received calls that dns queries were failing.  When
> I got back, I see transfer errors in the logs for the time period that
> it seemed to be failing.  This is what was appended to the end of the
> transfer errors:
>
> failed setting up socket: not enough free resources
>
> Any ideas?  I know you probably need more info. than the above.  This
> server is running RHEL5 and I am using the RHEL bind rpm
> (bind-9.3.4-6.0.2.P1.el5_2).  Let me know what other info. you need.  If
> it happens again, I will send output from rndc status.

If the code worked as intended, this error indicates that named has
opened more than 492 TCP sockets as well as many UDP sockets.  It's
possible that it has such a large number of TCP
(attempted/established) connections, but it looks unusual.  If this
happens frequently, you may want to examine these connections more
closely (whether there are many stalled connections, etc).

---
JINMEI, Tatuya
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.