How to patch Fedora Core 2 Bind RPM?

Adam Tkac atkac at redhat.com
Wed Aug 13 08:11:04 UTC 2008

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 07:11:55PM -0700, jri wrote:
> > I agree.  If you want to use Redhat product but don't want to pay then you
> > might take a look at CentOS.
> >
> What about Redhat? we are using paid redhat enterprise version, but
> they are still with the version 9.3 and no P2 yet (9.3.4-6.0.2.P1
> available on july 10).
> So end up compiling is not what I thought when buying RHEL.
> Any comments will be appreciated.
> JRI

I'm not sure if this is correct topic for bind-users but let me
answer. RHEL is not about latest upstream releases. RHEL is about
stability, support, stable API and if you configure your service,
configuration has to be same during all release cycle.

We have patched 9.3.4-P1 source due reasons written above. Could I ask
have you problems with it? If yes have you already opened support
ticket? When you don't have any problem why are you compiling P2
version? I don't think that your customers are interested if their
server is bare ISC 9.3.5-P2 or RH 9.3.4-6.0.2.P1. They are only
interested if their DNS working...

As written in other mails if you want latest releases RHEL is not distro
for you. You can use other distros like Slackware, Fedora, Gentoo
which generally have latest upstream packages.

Adam

--
Adam Tkac, Red Hat, Inc.