DNS query with no domain

Prabhat Rana prana9533 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 18 19:57:13 UTC 2008

Matt,
Thanks for a quick response again. Yes the design for handheld device to be able to connect just by querying http://mms does look like broken. And yes http://mms is the only hostname that handheld will be access in this way (without domain). So to better understand the solution that you have provided,
At this time the authoritative servers have a zone db.ora.com in which there is A record for mms to an IP.
So what you're suggeting is configure a mms. zone in the named.conf and create a zone file called db.mms. and in that zone file have A record for mms to mms.ora.com? Now it responds with same IP for both mms.ora.com and mms?
And then put a forwarder for mms in recursive DNS that points to authoritative servers?
Thanks.