dfad

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Mon Aug 18 23:39:28 UTC 2008

sanbat at gmail.com wrote:
> I'm looking to set up a DNS server to do domain name parking.  I'd
> like it to resolve any domain requests to a particular IP address,
> without having to set up separate zone files in advance.  Is this
> possible to do, and if so how?

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_parking, "domain
parking" means setting up an "under construction" site, or an
advertising site, under a domain name that isn't fully populated with
content yet.

 From a DNS infrastructure standpoint, a "parked" domain is no different
than a regular domain that's been registered and set up. It's just a
difference in web content.

What *you* want to do is to *wildcard* domain names. You can do that by
setting up a "fake" root zone on this particular nameserver, with a
wildcard entry in it, or perhaps multiple wildcard entries, if you want
to cover IPv6 as well. Just be careful to only serve those faked answers
to your own clients; there are still some folks out there running
ancient versions of DNS resolvers that could get "polluted" by your
bogus responses if they see them.