9.5.0-P2 and socket: too many open file descriptors

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Tue Aug 19 00:44:25 UTC 2008

> One data point that may be relevant in this discussion: We upgraded to
> 9.4.2-P1 on Solaris 10 and hit the file descriptors problem.  This
> surprised us since the load on our servers is not high in global terms.
> It turned out that the upgrade had coincided with intermittent
> connectivity problems.  Hung connections were using up the file
> descriptors during periods when the network was broken.  Once the
> network was fixed the number of open files went back to the expected
> level.
>
> Sam Wilson                            one of hostmaster at ed.ac.uk
> Network Section, IT Infrastructure (formerly Computing Services)
> Information Services, The University of Edinburgh
> Edinburgh, Scotland, UK

	Network problems, firewall problems, NAT problems,
	non-responsive servers can all cause queries/responses to
	be lost/non be generated resulting in more simultanious
	descriptor usage and eventually the message you are seeing
	with the -P2s.

	We are looking to fix this in the betas but it will be a
	trade off against other issues.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC