Bind-9.5.0-P2 testing

Binmakhashen, Latif Latif.Binmakhashen at omnicare.com
Tue Aug 19 12:00:59 UTC 2008

Once again, good answers from you and from Mark Andrews!!!

The bind version 9.2.0 is coming from the primary internal DNS server of
which I didn't upgrade yet.
I'm running the correct binaries internally and externally. I'll work on
the query-source statement with the network admin. I'm pretty sure at
this point that the query-source is causing the POOR results for the
source port randomness but I'll check with the network admin the
firewall/NAT is not decreasing the randomness either.

Here is how I found out:

Secondary Internal DNS:

# dig version.bind chaos txt @hpadm2

; <<>> DiG 9.5.0-P2 <<>> version.bind chaos txt @hpadm2
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; WARNING: recursion requested but not available

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;version.bind.                  CH      TXT

;; ANSWER SECTION:
version.bind.           0       CH      TXT     "9.5.0-P2"

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
version.bind.           0       CH      NS      version.bind.

;; Query time: 12 msec
;; SERVER: 172.16.1.50#53(172.16.1.50)
;; WHEN: Tue Aug 19 07:46:13 2008
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 65

# dig version.bind chaos txt @hpadm1

; <<>> DiG 9.5.0-P2 <<>> version.bind chaos txt @hpadm1
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; WARNING: recursion requested but not available

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;version.bind.                  CH      TXT

;; ANSWER SECTION:
version.bind.           0       CH      TXT     "9.2.0"

;; Query time: 3 msec
;; SERVER: 172.16.1.48#53(172.16.1.48)
;; WHEN: Tue Aug 19 07:46:22 2008
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 48

# ps -ex|grep named
 10612 ?        171:54 /opt/bind/sbin/named -c /etc/named.conf -u named
-t /var/named -d 1
  8929 pts/0     0:00 grep named

# /opt/bind/sbin/named -v
BIND 9.5.0-P2

External DNS Servers:

ns1# ps auxww|grep named
_syslogd 13616  0.0  0.8   180   476 ??  S     14Jul08    0:53.99
syslogd -a /var/named/dev/log -a /var/empty/dev/log
rootlbm   7598  0.0  8.4  4916  5404 ??  Ss    Fri10PM   15:11.21
/opt/bind/sbin/named -c /etc/named.conf -t /var/named -d 1
rootlbm   2150  0.0  0.8    84   480 p0  S+     7:38AM    0:00.01 grep
named

ns1# /opt/bind/sbin/named -v
BIND 9.5.0-P2

ns2# ps auxww|grep named
_syslogd 24642  0.0  0.2   152   472 ??  S     15Jul08    0:41.02
syslogd -a /var/named/dev/log -a /var/empty/dev/log
root      1498  0.0  2.9  5128  5592 ??  Ss    Thu10PM   38:18.82
/opt/bind/sbin/named -c /etc/named.conf -t /var/named -d 1
root     14408  0.0  0.2   112   456 p0  S+     8:16AM    0:00.02 grep
named

ns2# /opt/bind/sbin/named -v
BIND 9.5.0-P2

Kind regards,

Latif Binmakhashen
Sr. Unix  Admin.
Omnicare Inc.
Direct Line: (614) 652-3217
latif.binmakhashen at omnicare.com

-- NOTICE --
This e-mail message is confidential, intended only for the named
recipient(s) above and may contain information that is privileged or
exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you have received this
message in error, or are not the named recipient(s), please immediately
notify the sender and delete this e-mail message from your computer.