Feature request: Separate the idea of "working directory" from "configuration directory"

JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 Jinmei_Tatuya at isc.org
Tue Aug 19 22:11:32 UTC 2008

At Mon, 04 Aug 2008 16:12:47 -0700,
Doug Barton <dougb at dougbarton.us> wrote:

> By default in FreeBSD the directory option is set to /etc/namedb (the
> traditional name in *BSD), and that directory is set to 755 root:wheel
> which means that named cannot write to it after it drops privileges.
> This is intentional, and just about all the "useful" stuff that named
> would normally write to this directory has another home with
> appropriate permissions.

[snip]

> So I'm proposing the idea of a new working-directory option for
> named.conf. Is there interest in this idea?

In my understanding, the most important reason for requiring the
working directory writeable is to let named dump a core when it
crashes.  If a new option provides a clean way to achieve this goal
while storing "static" configuration files under read-only
directories, I think it makes sense.

---
JINMEI, Tatuya
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.