iptables and bind

Steven Stromer filter at stevenstromer.com
Tue Aug 19 22:28:57 UTC 2008

I want to rate limit queries to mitigate threat of Polyakov-styled
attack, but I can't find anything on iptables rate limiting based on
bits, bytes, or Mb / time (as opposed to packets/time). I looked
through the standard iptables extensions, and through the patch-o-
matic offerings, and can't find the right tool. Assuming that the
size of any single UDP packet in a query can change, up to the limit
where it is refused in exchange for a tcp packet, I can't even see
how the correct packets/time could be accurately inferred. Any
recommendations?

(NOTE: Tried posting to netfilter list before posting here, but
haven't gotten a response, and want to address this ASAP, so any
expertise would be appreciated...)

Thanks!
Steven Stromer