bind 9.3.5-P2 init.d script

ListAcc listacc at ocosa.com
Wed Aug 20 21:09:51 UTC 2008

ListAcc wrote:
> Adam Tkac wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 09:55:30PM -0500, ListAcc wrote:
>>

>>> Hello,
>>>

>> Hi,
>>

>>> I have removed Bind 9.4.2 from CentOS with yum and compiled Bind
>>> 9.3.5-P2.  I am having trouble using the old init script from the rpm
>>> setup previously installed.  Bind will not start but will stop fine.  It
>>> is chroot the same as the rpm.  I did not create the proc directory if
>>> this helps...I can't seem to find the culprit.
>>>

>> Did you check system log? Why exactly named won't start?
>>
>> Adam
>>

> Adam it does not say anything in /var/log/messages  also when I type
> service named start nothing happens but when I type service named stop
> it shows:
> Stopping named:                                            [  OK  ]
>
> --Otis

To add I did a yum install bind bind-chroot and it install successfully
and service named start works like it's suppose to but when I remove it
does nothing.
rpm -e --nodeps bind-utils-9.2.4-28.el4 bind-libs-9.2.4-28.0.1.el4
bind-9.2.4-28.0.1.el4 bind-chroot-9.2.4-28.0.1.el4

I have never had this problem and it's weird maybe I should just use the
patched 9.2.4 version then? But I would really like to use 9.3.5-P2.  As
a side note I compiled with openssl and I am running openssl 0.9.8h if
this helps.

I have checked /etc/init.d/named and /etc/sysconfig/named files are
there and executable for init.d.

--Otis