Can internal root server also forward?

Ben Croswell ben.croswell at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 01:49:00 UTC 2008

As far as I understand it, it won't work because the server believes it
knows the root and it doesn't see any reason to forward it.
One possible solution, which I have never tried in a false root environment,
would be to make sure that domain you want forwarded has NS records in
db.root and then trying the zone forward.
That way the root will see that the domain exists.  As I have said I haven't
tried this in a false rooted environment, but I know it is required to zone
forwarding of a child when you own the parent.
i.e. a server loads foo.com and you want a zone forwarder for bar.foo.com.
If the NS records are not in the parent to make the server realize that bar
exists, then the parent will ignore the zone forward and assume it knows
more about foo.com than named.conf does.

--
-Ben Croswell