Clearing queued transfers

JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 Jinmei_Tatuya at isc.org
Tue Dec 2 20:26:43 UTC 2008

At Fri, 21 Nov 2008 11:59:20 -0500,
"Todd Snyder" <tsnyder at rim.com> wrote:

> Some hopefully quick questions regarding zone transfers:
>
> We recently updated a bunch of zones to add new masters, not realizing
> the firewall holes weren't there yet.  This caused zone transfers to
> queue and be deferred.  So, my couple questions
>
> 1) Is there a way to get more information about what zones are queueing?
> syslog works, but there are hundreds of lines constantly changing,
> wondering if there is a more consise list of currently
> queued/transferring zones?

There's currently no such thing as far as I know.  But I'm planning to
enhance the new statistics/status framework available in 9.5 so that
it will include the status of zone transfers.

(I have no "quick" answers to the rest of the quick questions:-)

> 2) We backed out the change and removed the extra masters and did an
> rndc reconfig.  That didn't clear the queue itself, but I assume it
> would have once the transfer timeouts happened. Is there a manual way,
> other than restarting the service, to clear zone transfers?  I expect
> the answer is no, or my google fu is weak.
>
> 3) Specific to behaviour.  In this case, each slave had 3 masters that
> it could contact, and 3 it couldn't.  However, it would fill up the
> queue with requests to the servers it couldn't reach, and not use the
> servers it could reach.  Is there any way to modify this behaviour?
>
> Thanks very much for the help,

---
JINMEI, Tatuya
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.