Multi-home IP address on master NS for Split DNS and multiple views on slave?

will williamverna at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 01:16:27 UTC 2008

For bureaucratic reasons I can not multi-home the slave name server;
however, I can multi-home the master name server.

I understand from reading the 'DNS for Rocket Scientist' that when
using a 'view' statement to setup a split DNS to control visibility
that the slave servers for each zone will be resolved in the context
of the first view that it matches, based on its IP address. However,
if I multi-home or 'alias' the IP address on the 'slave' NS we can get
the multiple views of the same zone.

Will the logic still work no matter if the destination or source ip
addresses differ?

Can we multi-home the master name server instead, and the slaves still
get the multiple views (as long as the 'notify-source' is a different
ip address)?

Many thanks,
Will