Question about Records not authoritative for

Casartello, Thomas tcasartello at wsc.ma.edu
Thu Dec 11 16:25:15 UTC 2008

I was wondering if Bind allows you to override certain records for zones we are not authoritative for. Essentially we have a virus that some users have been infected with, and we want to temporarily blockout the domain name of the server that this virus connects to to send its information out. (Basically by having this domain name point to 127.0.0.1) I know it is a protocol violation, but I was just wondering if it is possible to do this and what would be the best way of going about it. We essentially have two servers with two views. One view serves our DNS zones to the outside world (With recursion disabled) and the other performs recursive queries for our on campus users. Obviously we would only be doing this on our internal view.

Thomas E. Casartello, Jr.
Staff Assistant - Wireless Technician/Linux Administrator
Information Technology
Wilson 105A
Westfield State College
(413) 572-8245