Bind 9.6.0b1 xml stats - changes?

JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 Jinmei_Tatuya at isc.org
Mon Dec 15 22:59:19 UTC 2008

At Thu, 20 Nov 2008 19:12:49 -0800,
"D. Stussy" <spam at bde-arc.ampr.org> wrote:

> Using the same .xls page to format as I did with 9.5.1b1, some of the
> sections don't have data.  Something was altered between these two
> versions, but the release notes say NOTHING about any change to the
> statistics web server feature.
>
> I found these affected statistics:
> - server/nsstats/*    - renamed as /nsstat/
> - server/zonestats/* - renamed as /zonestat/
> - [views/view]/resstats/*  - renamed as /resstat/
>
> Not everyone uses or necessarily wants to use the "bind9.xsl" file that
> comes with BIND as the display formatter.
>
> Please, if the XML data changes in the future, it should be documented in
> the release notes.

You're absolutely right, and I apologize for your inconvenience.

Moreover, we understand it's very important to keep backward
compatibility for users of this type of published interfaces.  So,
we'll try to avoid introducing incompatible changes as much as
possible in future versions in the first place.

Regarding this change, it's a result of this fix:

2388.	[bug]		Avoid using tables for layout purposes in
			statistics XSL [RT #18159].

as indicated by the change category ('[bug]'), we thought fixing this
issue was not just a style change, and it seemed to be the cleanest
way to change the data structure as part of the fix.  Ideally we
should have done such an incompatible try-and-error fix in a beta
version phase before a point-0 release, but in reality not many people
try to use pre-0 beta versions to identify problems like this one.

Again, we'll try to avoid incompatible changes as much as possible in
future versions of 9.5 (and probably in other 9.x versions).  It would
be highly appreciated if you could point it out in a beta or RC phase
in case we accidentally introduce incompatibility.

Thanks,

---
JINMEI, Tatuya
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.