Stats collection script for BIND 9.5 (and greater?)

JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 Jinmei_Tatuya at isc.org
Mon Dec 15 23:44:39 UTC 2008

At Mon, 15 Dec 2008 17:18:21 +0100,
Alexander Gall <gall at switch.ch> wrote:

> > http://members.iinet.com.au/~pyardley@ihug.com.au/#%5B%5BBIND%209.5%20DNS%20Stats%5D%5D
>
> This looks useful, thanks.  However, ISC has chosen to change some
> tags in 9.6.0rc1 (nsstats -> nsstat, zonestats -> zonestat, resstats ->
> resstat).  Unfortunately, they didn't bump the version of their XML
> schema (it's still reported as 1.0 in the <isc> tag), so it's hard to
> do right.  I hope this is going to be fixed in the final 9.6.0
> release.

9.6.0rc2 (and 9.5.1rc2) will soon be released (and I don't think we
can make a change to these versions unless it's a fatal bug).

So, if this is a crucial fix to be incorporated in the final release
we don't have much time.  Just out of curiosity, how crucial do you
think it is to bump the version?  My understanding is that bumping the
version will help if we keep supporting the first version for a
reasonably long period, while chasing newer versions.  Realistically,
however, I suspect most users (especially those using advanced
management tools like this script) will move to 9.5.1 (or 9.6.0)
anyway, since 9.5.0 and its P1/P2 variants have other problems:
vulnerability to the Kaminsky attack (in case of vanilla 9.5.0),
performance issues due to file descriptor limitations, ACL
crash/memory leak, cache memory management bug, etc.

*If* we could assume no one realistically continues to stick to 9.5.0,
wouldn't it be simpler just to drop the old format and migrate to the
new one? (I understand the migration itself is a pain, and I apologize
for the inconvenience.  As I said in a response to a different thread,
we'll try to avoid happening in future releases).

---
JINMEI, Tatuya
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.