split view dns, with a shared dynamic zone?

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Tue Dec 30 04:51:26 UTC 2008

I currently have a split view dns configuration, with a view for internal
ips and a separate view for external ips. There are some names which need
to resolve the same for both views. I have implemented this in the past by
having common data in a separate file that was included by the zone files
in each view, which has worked out fine for static zones.

However, now I want to implement a dynamic zone. The data in this zone
should be the same for both the external and internal views, and I'm just
not seeing a way to accomplish that.

I tried configuring a zone in both views pointing to the same underlying
file, which didn't work out, as updates from different view sources weren't
seen in the other view, and presumably the file/journal was getting
stomped on by competing updates from each view.

Is there any way to configure a dynamic zone which is shared between both
views, where an update from a box with an "internal" ip is seen by a query
from a box with an "external" ip, and vice versa? Short of setting up a
completely different DNS server and delegating the zone to it (which I'd
rather not do, I'd really like to keep this on the same master/slaves as
everything else) I can't think of a way to implement this.

Thanks for any suggestions...

--
Paul B. Henson  |  (909) 979-6361  |  http://www.csupomona.edu/~henson/
Operating Systems and Network Analyst  |  henson at csupomona.edu
California State Polytechnic University  |  Pomona CA 91768