Leases on Dynamic Updates?

Barry Finkel b19141 at britaine.ctd.anl.gov
Fri Feb 1 22:45:26 UTC 2008

Danny wrote:

>Don't be taken in by Microsoft's design. Look how difficult it was for
>them to get the SOA serial number to work correctly with their AD
>multimaster DNS.

Does the MS design really work with multi-master?  I have three DCs,
but I treat only ONE as the master for my BIND slaves.  I don't know
of anyone who has more than one DC master for BIND slaves, but I have
not done an exhaustive survey.  As far as I can tell, even after
reading 282826 I cannot see any way for MS to get serial numbers
correct.

Given two identical copies of an AD-integrated zone (serial number 1),
and given two different DDNS updates to that zone, each one sent to a
different DC.  What is the new serial number for the zone?

It cannot be 2, as each DC has serial number 2 after the DDNS updates,
and each DC has a different copy of the zone.

It cannot be 3 (for the zone with both updates applied), as there could
have been a new DDNS update to the zone sent to one of the DCs before
the initial updates had been cross-integrated.
Barry S. Finkel
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov