Best Practices for Authoritative Servers

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Sun Feb 3 00:12:04 UTC 2008

> Kevin Darcy wrote:
> >>     It's not the only software not to have a DWIM mode, and with
> >>     good reason.  Somewhere, there has to be a responsible person
> >>     in charge.  Identifying which elements of a configuration
> >>     correspond, in the mind of that person, to a particular
> >>     purpose, is not something which software can reliably do.
> > Perhaps I wasn't clear. I wasn't talking about DWIM, I was talking about
> > a way within named.conf to *explicitly* tell named which of the masters
> > are "peers" versus which of them are truly "upstream". "Serial number
> > ok" responses from "upstream" masters would reset the timers are per
> > usual, but wouldn't reset the timers when received from "peer" masters,
> > whose only purpose is to ensure that the latest version of the zone gets
> > out everywhere. Thus, if the only good refreshes come from "peer"
> > masters, eventually the zone will expire.
>
> The master is listed in the SOA record. If it's not from there it's not
> the master.

	Danny, it is more complicated than that.

	Consider the transfer graph:

		B Transfers from A
		C Transfers from B
		C Transfers from D
		D Transfers from B
		D Transfers from C

		       / \
		      V   V
		      C<->D

	C and D are peers, A and B are treated as masters.

	Now add in E which transfers from B, C and D.  If C and D are
	treating each other as peers then E can treat B, C and D as
	masters.  If C and D treat each other as masters then E can
	only treat B as a master and need to treat C and D as peers
	even though they don't transfer from E.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC