DNS client, OT?

david brett dbrett7 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 6 20:52:59 UTC 2008

I just ran into an issue which caught me be surprised.  This may be off topic?

I have a DHCP server handing out three DNS, the third one is a backup to the ISP DNS incase the
internal ones go down the users could still get to the Internet.

What happened is the client started randomly to use the third DNS (ISP DNS) when looking up names!
 The first two DNS were reachable and running.  This goes against the way I understood it to work.
 I thought it would use the DNS in order and only if the first one didn't respond.  Do I have it
wrong or is something else going on here?

david

P.S. These are windows xp clients