Transfer Source question.

Ryan Pavely paradox at nac.net
Wed Feb 6 21:11:28 UTC 2008

I have several nameserver load-balanced.  Each has a front end IP, a
LB'd IP, and a 3rd ip for zone-transfers.

== named.conf ==
        transfer-source 207.99.0.7;

When a zone transfer initiates from 207.99.0.7 and a connection cannot
be established, it tries again with the servers main ip.  This is
obviously a problem because my servers are all over the place in
physical land and I'd rather tell my customers to allow 207.99.0/24 then
a list of random ip's I may someday use.

I read the docs and while it suggests other IP's can be used when the
transfer-source fails, it suggests they will only be used when you set
alt-transfer-source.  However other google searches comment that
use-alt-transfer-source is defaulted to on, so I can only speculate with
that defaulted on and no ip set it will use the main Ethernet ip.

I have set use-alt-transfer-source to no and will check the logs in a
few days.

Is this a feature?  A spot for more documentation?  A bug?

Or am I missing something?

--
  Ryan Pavely
   Director Research And Development