Standard query response, Server failure?

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Tue Feb 12 02:39:52 UTC 2008

Adam Tkac wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 09:20:54AM -0500, Jiann-Ming Su wrote:
>
>> Running 9.2.2 on several old RedHat 7.3 systems.  Some users were
>> noticing slow responses from one particular nameserver.  When I trace
>> the traffic, I see "Server failure" in response to a "query A."  What
>> level of debugging can I run to collect more info?  And, what would
>> cause such an error?  The other nameservers don't see to have this
>> same problem.  Thanks for any tips.
>>

> This is pretty ancient version of RH and also of bind. I recommend you
> update to supported OS or update bind to some current release. This
> problem should be solved.

Really?

How many different possible causes are there for any given SERVFAIL
response?

And how many of those causes are related to BIND and/or OS version?

(Note to original poster: you need to provide more information about
your configuration, your architecture, etc. if you expect anything more
than Help Desk-type canned responses).