Setting-UP a secondary Name Server

kkchn sms kkchn.gw at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 11:22:52 UTC 2008

People : Let me ask your help on setting up a secondary Name Server for My
Domain
( I have a Primary Name Server setup by me running fine  : But I dont know
what changes I have to make  in the  named.conf & zone file , so   in the
second machine just copying the two files  make it  Secondary Name server )
: Here I am looking for your assistance .

   :

 in Tutorials it is recommended that you should have at lest 2 Name
Servers   (such as  One primary Name Server and a Secondary Name server  )

I can paste the   /etc/named/named.conf    &
/etc/named/master/My_Domain.Name.host   : ( zone   File for my primary Name
Server  , )

I would like to request you to point out what I  have to change  in these
files , So as this two files can be placed in My Secondary Name Server
Machine's   /etc/named  Directory In Order to  work it as a secondary
NameServer .

mars # cat named.conf
// $FreeBSD: src/etc/namedb/named.conf,v 1.21.2.1 2005/09/10 08:27:27 dougb
Exp $
//
// Refer to the named.conf(5) and named(8) man pages, and the documentation
// in /usr/share/doc/bind9 for more details.
//
// If you are going to set up an authoritative server, make sure you
// understand the hairy details of how DNS works.  Even with
// simple mistakes, you can break connectivity for affected parties,
// or cause huge amounts of useless Internet traffic.

options {
        directory       "/etc/namedb";
        pid-file        "/var/run/named/pid";
        dump-file       "/var/dump/named_dump.db";
        statistics-file "/var/stats/named.stats";
// If named is being used only as a local resolver, this is a safe default.
// For named to be accessible to the network, comment this option, specify
// the proper IP address, or delete this option.
        listen-on       { 127.0.0.1; My_Public_IP_Address;};

// If you have IPv6 enabled on this system, uncomment this option for
// use as a local resolver.  To give access to the network, specify
// an IPv6 address, or the keyword "any".
//      listen-on-v6    { ::1; };

// In addition to the "forwarders" clause, you can force your name
// server to never initiate queries of its own, but always ask its
// forwarders only, by enabling the following line:
//
//      forward only;

// If you've got a DNS server around at your upstream provider, enter
// its IP address here, and enable the line below.  This will make you
// benefit from its cache, thus reduce overall DNS traffic in the Internet.

        /*forwarders {

        };
*/

        /*
         * If there is a firewall between you and nameservers you want
         * to talk to, you might need to uncomment the query-source
         * directive below.  Previous versions of BIND always asked
         * questions using port 53, but BIND versions 8 and later
         * use a pseudo-random unprivileged UDP port by default.
         */
        // query-source address * port 53;
};

// If you enable a local name server, don't forget to enter 127.0.0.1
// first in your /etc/resolv.conf so this server will be queried.
// Also, make sure to enable it in /etc/rc.conf.

zone "." {
        type hint;
        file "named.root";
};

zone "0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA" {
        type master;
        file "master/localhost.rev";
};

// RFC 3152
zone "
1.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.IP6.ARPA" {
        type master;
        file "master/localhost-v6.rev";
};

// NB: Do not use the IP addresses below, they are faked, and only
// serve demonstration/documentation purposes!
//
// Example slave zone config entries.  It can be convenient to become
// a slave at least for the zone your own domain is in.  Ask
// your network administrator for the IP address of the responsible
// primary.
//
// Never forget to include the reverse lookup (IN-ADDR.ARPA) zone!
// (This is named after the first bytes of the IP address, in reverse
// order, with ".IN-ADDR.ARPA" appended.)
//
// Before starting to set up a primary zone, make sure you fully
// understand how DNS and BIND works.  There are sometimes
// non-obvious pitfalls.  Setting up a slave zone is simpler.
//
// NB: Don't blindly enable the examples below. :-)  Use actual names
// and addresses instead.

/* An example master zone
zone "example.net" {
        type master;
        file "master/example.net";
};
*/

/* An example dynamic zone
key "exampleorgkey" {
        algorithm hmac-md5;
        secret "sf87HJqjkqh8ac87a02lla==";
};
zone "example.org" {
        type master;
        allow-update {
                key "exampleorgkey";
        };
        file "dynamic/example.org";
};
*/

/* Examples of forward and reverse slave zones
zone "example.com" {
        type slave;
        file "slave/example.com";
        masters {
                192.168.1.1;
        };
};
zone "1.168.192.in-addr.arpa" {
        type slave;
        file "slave/1.168.192.in-addr.arpa";
        masters {
                192.168.1.1;
        };
};
*/

zone "My_Domain_Name" {
    type master;
    file "master/My_Domain_Name.hosts";
    //allow-transfer {
    //};
};
##commented out by dhanesh##
mars#
My Zone file  /etc/named/master/My_Domain_Name.hosts

mars# cat my_domain_name.hosts
$TTL 88400
$ORIGIN my_domain_name .
@   1D  IN  SOA  my_domain_name .  root.my_domain_name . (
                2007031901      ; serial, todays date + todays serial #
                1h              ; refresh, seconds
                30M             ; retry, seconds
                4W              ; expire, seconds
                1D )            ; minimum, seconds
;
                TXT     " My NetWork"
                NS      my_domain_name .     ; Inet Address of name server
                MX 10   mail.mydomain_name . ;
;
my_domain.               A       pubic_IP_of_My_machine
www                     CNAME   my_domain .
mail                    CNAME   my_domain .
star                     A      Public_Ip_of_My_second_machine
postfixadmin            CNAME   star
mailguard               CNAME   star

star : is the Name of my Second public machine , (star.My_Domain    is a sub
domain of my  domain name)
 which I have to make as the secondary Name Server ,    I registerd the  IP
address & name of this machine  in the Domain Name registrars  as the
secondary Name server for my domain :

the pending job is to configure  named.conf && zone files in this second
machine  as a  secondary Name server ,

 I request  all     to help me with your valuable  comments , that will help
me to make this second machine as my secondary Name server

Thanks in Advance
kk