named forcestart ,not working -FreeBSD-6.2-Release

kkchn sms kkchn.gw at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 09:45:10 UTC 2008

People: I have to setup my box as a slave DNS , but  the issue is that named
not starting : I tried the following commands outputs I got as follows ,
please help me with your comments : what wrong with my installation?
[root at sun ~]# /etc/rc.d/named stop
Stopping namedrndc: not found
: rndc failed, trying killall: No matching processes were found
[root at sun ~]# /etc/rc.d/named forcestart
[root at sun ~]# sockstat -4p 53
USER     COMMAND    PID   FD PROTO  LOCAL ADDRESS         FOREIGN ADDRESS
[root at sun ~]# /etc/rc.d/named stop
Stopping namedrndc: not found
: rndc failed, trying killall: No matching processes were found
[root at sun ~]# find / -name named
/var/named
/var/named/var/run/named
/var/run/named
/etc/rc.d/named
[root at sun ~]#

[root at sun /etc/namedb]# ls
PROTO.localhost-v6.rev  dynamic                 master
named.root
PROTO.localhost.rev     make-localhost          named.conf
slave
[root at sun /etc/namedb]#

Here I cant find any executables such as /usr/sbin/named  : what I made
wrong here ,  rndc-key also not listed  in the /etc/named

Operating System is :FreeBSD-6.2-Release

Thanks in advance
KK