Strange failure with recursive zen.spamhaus.org NS query

Ronan Flood usenet at umbral.org.uk
Fri Feb 15 15:27:57 UTC 2008

Simeon Miteff <simeon.miteff at uct.ac.za> wrote:

> When I followed Mark's advice and did some packet dumps, I discovered
> that bind is receiving a response from one of the spamhaus.org name
> servers, but not sending that to the client.

Looking at your log, it gets a referral from the parent zone rather than
an answer, so it tries to follow that.  No point returning a referral to
the client.

Directly as in, say, "dig @65.182.198.204 zen.spamhaus.org. ns +norec" ?

> A debug log is available at:
> http://filterline.its.uct.ac.za/~smiteff/bind_issues/debug_log.txt
>
> Bind seems to receive the response at "15-Feb-2008 12:54:51.552", but

Again, that's a referral.

> I'm unable to figure out exactly where it decides to discard it (perhaps
> the 12th line from the end of the log?). I've copied the bind config
> files into the same directory above.

All those timeouts as it tries to chase the referral make it look
like maybe Spamhaus have blackholed you.  Are you a heavy user?

  www.spamhaus.org/organization/dnsblusage.html

--
Ronan Flood <usenet at umbral.org.uk>