route traffic to global datacenters using DNS

stevehunter_1 at hotmail.com stevehunter_1 at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 24 06:29:28 UTC 2008

Scenario:
2 Datacenters at two different geographic regions.
Each datacenter has its own set of DNS servers (lets say 2)

If I assign nameservers to a domain name in the following order:
location1A
location1B
location2A
location2B

For "failover", it would be logical that the DNS for location1A would
point to servers at location#1.  So if location#1 failed, DNS servers
1A and 1B would be down, and DNS servers for 2A and 2B would pick up
the traffic and they would route to servers at location#2.

This is all fine and with a TTL of one minute would work very well.
But what if I wanted to load balance (round robin) to location1 and
location2?

So location1A DNS server would round robin to location1 and
location2.  What happens when location2 goes down, how do you fix
this?  Because location1A DNS is still going to hand our location#2 IP
addresses ...  what are the real-world examples?  manually changing
the DNS is a solution, but not a fast solution.  What tools or
techniques are people using?  I am sure this has been addressed before
but I could not find any information on it.

So the requirement I have is to load balance (round robin), TTL of a
minute or less, and to incorporate some type of failover using the
DNS.

Thanks for any assistance