Multiple PTR Records from One IP Address

Fr34k freaknetboy at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 26 20:12:35 UTC 2008

Hello,

Multiple PTRs are a "customer education issue".
Often, as you suspect, a customer will believe they need multiple PTRs to match the multiple A records for such things as virtual hosting email or websites.

In the case of email hosting, I typically explain to them that while they can host 5 billion email domains, a node on the Internet only has one name as far as that node's hostname is concerned.
For example, the hostname that is passed during the initial SMTP 220 helo communication.

Typically, I tell them that the PTR should match this name as most beneficial for anti-abuse measures.
Need more ammo? Look at the full header of any out-bound email which shows the single hostname and how this does NOT change regardless the 5 billion hosted email domains on the server.

Same with a web server hosting 5 billion websites.

Make it your policy for only one PTR per IP address and stop the madness.
Spread the word -- friends don't let friends use multiple PTRs.

I hope this helps -- Chris