CNAME ?

Madison Kelly linux at alteeve.com
Wed Feb 27 23:42:06 UTC 2008

sasi-technique wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm quite new  in Bind configuration so I hope someone can answer this. In
> Bind DNS entrie, Is there a way to do this :
>
> When people tape http://domain.com redirect to http://www.domain.com ?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Best regards,
> F. Sabino

If I understand your question (guessing by the subject), then no, CNAME
will not do this. As others have suggested, you're web server will have
to do this. Personally, I create a virtual host container and symlink
it's document root to the the virtual host container I have my real
data, but this may or may not work for you (it will not change the url).
Regardless, that is outside the scope of this mailing list.

What CNAME (Canonical NAME) does is say to BIND, "return the IP address
for 'domain.com.' when someone requests the IP for 'www.domain.com.'."
As opposed to an 'A' record which is the specific IP address to resolve.

Madi