Providing local DNS service behind a cheap router/gateway

Steven Stromer filter at stevenstromer.com
Thu Jan 3 15:57:13 UTC 2008

Thanks, Jonathan.

nameserver in resolv.conf had previously been set to 192.168.0.38,
the lan address of the bind server, due to the fact that my
named.conf file contained the options:

allow-query { "admirallan"; };
allow-recursion { "admirallan"; };

"admirallan" didn't contain 127.0.0.1, thus preventing 127.0.0.1 from
being permitted to make queries. However, this arrangement worked
fine for years.

During my recent changes, I changed these settings to:

allow-query { localnets; localhost; "admirallan"; };
allow-recursion { localnets; localhost; "admirallan"; };

and changed the nameserver in resolv.conf to 127.0.0.1. This allows
the nameserver in resolv.conf to be set to 127.0.0.1 successsfully.
However, thinking this may have played a part in breaking things, I
changed these settings back to what previously worked. Once I figure
out the problem I've described, I will try to return to these new
settings.

Hate to ask, but any other ideas? I'm not sure where to be looking to
find what's wrong. Should I be customizing my named log files to
better troubleshoot? I hate to introduce new variables, when I think
that the problem really lies with the install of the caching-
nameserver package. I'm toying with backing up my configured zones,
removing all bind related packages, and reinstalling everything, but
I'd prefer to understand what's going wrong, over taking a route
around the problem!