override ttl=0

Res res at ausics.net
Sun Jan 6 06:09:09 UTC 2008

On Sat, 5 Jan 2008, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:

> On 04.01.08 15:52, Herve Guehl wrote:
>> My users choosed an external service, based on the fact that is fit their
>> needs.
>
> and you have problem with it. Either accept it as it is, or ask the customer
> to fix the problem where it lies... I don't think you'll solve anything by
> breaking the RFC...

I think its very reasonable to enforce a minimum of at least 1 hour
many large networks do this, because we all know how many other
incompetant people there are out there in control of their own DNS

> Maybe you and them should rethink what does "their needs" mean and what will
> happen if it will continue causing the problem. Maybe if you converted "your

It's barely noticable if a locally hosted domain has a laughable TTL like
10m, but image if you host 30K domains, and every one of these idiots set
their TTL to 10 mins, think of the un-necessary bandwith and workload
those servers have to do when its not called for,  IIRC it wont accept
anything less than 10 minutes anyway, but in a day when no one runs
servers on dynamically assigned IP servers, I think the built in default
should be 1 hour at the very least.

--
Cheers
Res