dns updates from a windows client

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Tue Jan 8 22:12:15 UTC 2008

The search path is only used when a shortname lookup is issued. If you
use fully-qualified names (FQDNs), then the search path is irrelevant
and you have a lot more flexibility and scalability. Note that shortname
resolution can also present a security risk, inasmuch as it introduces
uncertainty/ambiguity into client/server interactions, e.g. if I connect
to a "zeus" website, using a shortname, is that
zeus.good-and-trusted.domain.com or zeus.evil-nasty-hacked.com? It all
depends on the contents of my search path, which is administered
typically by Windoze whizkids who don't necessarily have a good sense of
proper security practices.

                              - Kevin