BIND and AD DNS

Chris Cox chris_cox at stercomm.com
Thu Jan 10 20:24:27 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-10 at 12:20 -0600, Beavis wrote:
> thanks for the awesome replies guys. most of the resources available
> on google mostly explain about having a zone-file on the BIND box that
> is update-able by the AD DNS's. anyways, I'll take these into account
> as well as whatever resource that are available on the internet and
> work from there.

IMHO, that's if you don't want to use a Microsoft DNS (which is what
we do here).  We just setup the extra funny "_" zones and allow our
domain controllers to update just those zones.  Our ISC DHCP server
takes care of adding the DDNS entries for dhcp'd hosts.  Our BIND
server ignores the plethora of name update requests coming from the
clients themselves.  We've been running for years with this config,
hasn't caused any problems.