bind 9.4 memory exhaustion

bindlist bindlist at codewarehouse.NET
Tue Jan 15 11:06:56 UTC 2008

Greetings,
 I'm running two nearly identically loaded internet viewable
authoritative servers on bind 9.4.2. OS is BSD (recent).

I am running into problems with memory exhaustion on one of them.
Yet no problems on the other.

The server with problem:
SOA for 7 zones
SLAVE for 7 zones

memory related conf lines:
  datasize 15m;
	max-cache-size 45m;

The server without problem:
SOA for 7 zones
SLAVE for 9 zones

memory related conf lines:
  datasize 5m;
	max-cache-size 10m;

Furthermore the conf settings (other than data/cache lines) are identical
on both.
On the problem server I started with the lines:
  datasize 5m;
	max-cache-size 10m;

but the following results were almost immediate:

# named.reload
rndc: 'reload' failed: out of memory

# rndc reload
rndc: 'reload' failed: out of memory

So I bumped the numbers up. Yet the higher numbers only postpones the
inevitable:
failed: out of memory.

I should also probably note that the "problem" server has 3 times the physical
memory installed/available, than does the other server.

Any thoughts, answers?

Thank you for all your time and consideration.

Service provided by hitOmeter.NET internet messaging!
.