DDNS Registration behind Load Balancer

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Wed Jul 2 21:44:47 UTC 2008

Mark Andrews wrote:

>> rd

> 	Which is not how Microsoft says the clients do it.
>
> 	http://support.microsoft.com/kb/317590		(Windows 2000)
> 	http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816592		(Windows 2003)
>
> 	The SOA query uses the local cache.  The UPDATE goes direct.
> 	If the master is unreachable
> 	The NS query uses the local cache.  The UPDATE goes direct to the
> 	listed nameservers.
>
> 	Now if yoiu can find documentation that says otherwise please
> 	post the URL.

I guess I'm going to have to talk to my Microsoft "experts" then, to get
some clarification/confirmation. We might even set this up in a test
lab, since we have a possible requirement to support automatic client
registration for a small subset of our clients, and need to know
how/whether it's going to work in our predominantly BIND-based environment.

Thanks for digging these KnowledgeBase articles up -- I looked all over
Microsoft's website(s) for a description of Dynamic Update client
internals, but I think I might have been using BIND-oriented or
DNS-standards-based search terms, rather than Microsoft-ese, so I didn't
find anything concrete.