Subdomain nameserver configuration question...

Kyle McDonald KMcDonald at Egenera.COM
Sun Jul 6 23:59:23 UTC 2008

Hi all,

In a past life I have successfully setup bind to run a subdomain on a
network that was wide open to the internet (It was a university
network.) In that case my nameservers were configured with the list root
domain servers, and when requests for hosts in the parent domain or
other subdomains were received they were of course resolved working at
the root and down to the parent, etc. I don't know if this was the right
way, but it worked, and caches were used most of the time.

Anyway, I now find myself setting up nameservers for a subdomain, where
the parent domain is using a split-horizon, or spilt-DNS setup. So far
I've setup bind with the hint DB of root servers, and it's working great
for resolving records in domains outside the company (we have a NAT
firewall so that is needed.) but it also means that lookups for hosts in
the parent (or other-subdomains of the parent) get hung up try to be
resolved by the external side of the parent domain which doesn't know
anything about any of them.

I've read through the Split DNS configuration, and it covers setting
that up pretty well, but I haven't seen any mention of how to configure
child subdomains of the parent.

I don't know if it matters, but for completeness I'll add that (at
least) the internal side of the parent domain is served by 2 Win2003 AD
machines with MS DNS.

What do I need to do to make sure that requests for the parent and other
internal subdomains get resolved internally?

       -Kyle