URGENT, PLEASE READ: 9.5.0-P1 now available

JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 Jinmei_Tatuya at isc.org
Wed Jul 9 16:28:11 UTC 2008

At Wed, 09 Jul 2008 10:56:30 -0500,
Walter Gould <gouldwp at auburn.edu> wrote:

> I upgraded this morning from 9.5.0 to 9.5.0-P1 and shortly after began
> receiving the below errors.  Would anybody know why?  Also - this killed
> external name resolution for us.  Thanks in advance.
>
> Jul  9 09:17:53 dns named: named startup succeeded
> Jul  9 09:19:24 dns named[25109]: error: socket.c:2105: unexpected error:
> Jul  9 09:19:24 dns named[25109]: error: internal_accept: fcntl()
> failed: Too many open files

Can you figure out how many sockets were opened in that situation?  It
will also help if you specify your OS and version.

This situation could happen if named opens so many open sockets bound
to random UDP ports simultaneously.  But as long as the query rate and
cache hit rate are moderate, this should be a rare event in
practice.  So my first guess is that the system default of the maximum
allowable open sockets is too small.  Please check the value (e.g., by
'ulimit -n' that works for many shells), and try a larger value if
it's too small.

If it's equal to or larger than 1024 and you still see this problem,
your operational environment might be such a rare unlucky one.  In
that case, I'd recommend you try 9.5.1b1 (or 9.4.3b1), which handles
such cases much better.

---
JINMEI, Tatuya
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.