Vulnerability to cache poisoning -- the rest of the solution

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Fri Jul 11 17:21:17 UTC 2008

Thanks.

Forgive me for being dense but I'm trying to understand.

Is the "cache poisoning" poisoning of our name servers' cache or of name
servers that our recursive queries are using for resolution of external
sites (e.g. google.com, yahoo.com, billybob.com)?

When you say allowing recursion is the issue are you saying that in the
sense that there is a risk from internal sabotage as there is from
internet hackers or are you saying simply having it on for internal
users somehow also would allow internet hackers to exploit it?

Reading your final paragraph makes it seem like you mean it is the
latter.

Just to make sure I understand recursion:  My assumption is that this is
necessary to do lookups for zones for which we are not authoritative
like the examples above.   Is that correct?