Vulnerability to cache poisoning -- the rest of the solution

Peter Laws plaws at ou.edu
Fri Jul 11 22:21:37 UTC 2008

James Pratt wrote:
> Actually, no  - you have to ensure that a "query-source port 53;" line
> does not exist in your named.conf (I found this out via a posting
> earlier. No one else mentioned it before, or I have been missing emails!

Yeah, I actually read the docs (gasp!) and it does note that if it's not
specifically set, or if the port is set to '*', then it's random (for some
value of 'random').  I checked all mine, too, and it was never set.

Of course, I am working under the assumption that RedHat's version of BIND
is also random by default ... :-)

Thanks, all.

--
Peter Laws / N5UWY